Perfect Air Fryer Sunchokes (quick & easy)
Air frying may just be the best method for cooking sunchokes. Using this simple recipe, they come out soft on the inside and crispy on the outside, with a slightly chewy, addictively delicious bite! Move over potatoes…check out these perfect air fryer sunchokes.
Disclosure: I only recommend products I use myself and all opinions expressed here are my own. This post contains affiliate links, which means that if you make a purchase, I may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you.
Why You’ll Love these Air Fryer Sunchokes
These sunchokes are soooo delicious, but that’s not the only reason you’ll love them! They are also:
Soft on the inside
Vegan / Vegetarian
Lower Carb than potatoes
Low Glycemic Index
What are Sunchokes?!
Sunchokes, otherwise known as Jerusalem artichokes, are a root vegetable that look like knobby ginger roots. Technically part of the sunflower family (not the artichoke family), cooked sunchokes are most similar in taste to potatoes with a slightly nuttier flavor. Some people compare sunchokes to chestnuts and artichokes as well.
Sunchokes can be eaten raw or cooked.
What to serve with Sunchokes
Sunchokes are generally served as a side dish or appetizer, similar to potatoes.
Air fryer sunchokes are delicious all on their own, but I love to serve them with a dip. Some tasty dips to serve with sunchokes include:
- Sriracha Ketchup (simply 3 parts ketchup mixed with 1 part sriracha sauce)
- Tahini Sauce
- Tzatziki Sauce
How to Air Fry Sunchokes
Air frying sunchokes is pretty straightforward.
First, wash (or brush) sunchokes. Then cut into pieces about 1/2 inch thick.
Next, drizzle with oil, rosemary, salt, and pepper, and mix.
Then place in air fryer. Set to 400 for 15 minutes.
Open the air fryer every 4-5 minutes to shake the basket so that sunchoke pieces have a chance to cook evenly.
The key equipment needed for this recipe is an air fryer. While there are dozens of reputable air fryers on the market, we absolutely love our 5.5 quart Ninja Air Fryer. So much so that we are eyeing the Ninja Double Air Fryer (2 basket)!
No. They come out perfectly if you follow this simple recipe: soft on the inside and crispy on the outside, with a slightly chewy, addictively delicious bite!
It depends on what nutritional facts you are comparing. Sunchokes have a lower glycemic index, less carbs, and more iron than potatoes. However, potatoes are higher in vitamins C, B6, and magnesium.
No, you do not need to peel sunchokes before cooking. The peel gives the vegetable a wonderful texture, as it easily crisps up (more easily than potatoes!).
Sunchokes taste most similar to a potatoes with a slightly nuttier flavor. Some people compare sunchokes to chestnuts and artichokes as well.
In the air fryer, cook at 400 degrees.
Nothing! Jerusalem artichoke is another name for sunchoke. They are also referred to as sunroot, wild sunflower, topinambur, or earth apple.
Sunchokes can be eaten raw or cooked. Popular cooking methods include boiling, pureeing, roasting, and air frying.
Yes. You can boil sunchokes. You can also air frying sunchokes without oil, they will just be a less crispy.
Sunchokes are naturally fat free and are high in iron, fiber, and potassium. They also have a low glycemic index.
For more air fryer recipes, check out:
Air Fryer Sunchokes
- air fryer
- 1 pound sunchokes about 7 medium
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh rosemary, chopped optional
- black pepper to taste
- Wash sunchokes thoroughly, using a brunch if you have one.
- Once dry, slice sunchokes into approximate 1/2 inch pieces. Do not remove skin.
- Coat sunchokes with oil, salt, rosemary, and pepper. Mix to even out.
- Place sunchokes into air fryer basket. It is okay if pieces overlap since you will be shaking basket throughout cooking process to even out.
- Air fry sunchokes at 400 degrees for 15-16 minutes, stopping the fryer every 4-5 minutes to shake the basket to balance cooking across sunchoke pieces.NOTE: The 15-16 minute cook time is for a basket style air fryer. If you are using a wider air fryer with a larger surface and the sunchoke pieces are not overlapping much, sunchokes will cook quicker than 15 minutes so be sure to check every 4 to 5 minutes for doneness.
- Serve immediately to enjoy best texture. Enjoy with dip of choice or alone.
6 thoughts on “Perfect Air Fryer Sunchokes (quick & easy)”
tasty and crispy sunchokes! I never knew they were so easy to cook in the air fryer
Thank you Nancy for sharing!
This was my first time cooking with sunchokes! Delicious!
yay for trying new veggies!
love how simple this is to whip up in the air fryer! so so good!
so easy! thanks andrea!