Spicy Tahini Sauce/Dressing/Dip (oil free!)
One of the most underrated condiments of all time: tahini. And this simple, vegan, oil free recipe is a one stop shop for spicy tahini sauce, spicy tahini dip, or spicy tahini dressing! A satisfying balance of garlic, lemon, and spice with a touch of sweetness.
What is tahini made of?
Tahini is simply sesame seeds that have been hulled and ground into a smooth paste. Tahini can be found in almost any grocery store. Depending on the brand, store bought tahini can be raw or toasted.
What does tahini taste like?
Tahini is rich and nutty in flavor. Some brands of tahini paste are more bitter, some are more buttery.
Tahini is generally smooth and silky in texture. Some brands of tahini paste need to be stirred to mix in the natural oils, similar to some natural brands of nut butters.
Check out the best tahini brands accordingly to three Arab American cooks on Kitchn.
Tahini Sauce Uses
Tahini is oh so versatile and will elevates endless dishes. This delicious recipe can be used as a salad dressing, a dip, or a sauce. Here are my favorite three ways for how to use tahini:
Oil Free Tahini Dressing
This spicy maple tahini dressing is particularly perfect for a kale salad. It stands up to the tough kale leaves, both softening them with its natural oil and minimizing the bitterness of the kale leaves. Complementary salad ingredient ideas include:
- roasted chickpeas for crunch
- sweet potatoes for sweetness
- tomatoes for brightness
- radishes or fennel for freshness
- my crispy & spicy roasted beets for added kick
- baked tofu for extra protein (I prefer Trader Joe’s sriracha tofu)
Spicy Garlicky Tahini Sauce
Baked sweet potatoes can move from a side dish to a main dish with this delectable tahini sauce! Add some roasted chickpeas too, and it becomes the star of the plate. Serve with a side salad.
Spicy Tahini Dip
Finally, this recipe is amazing as a dip for roasted vegetables. Perfect complimentary veggies include crispy roasted beets, garlicky roasted cauliflower, broccoli, sweet potatoes, white potatoes, and Brussels sprouts.
This spicy tahini recipe a satisfying balance of garlic, lemon, and spice with a touch of sweetness. And believe it or not, there is no added oil, making it uber-healthy too!
Without further delay, here is the spicy tahini sauce (or dip or dressing) recipe–>
Spicy Tahini Dressing/Dip/Sauce
- 1/3 cup tahini
- 1 tsp finely chopped /minced medium garlic clove
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp coconut aminos (can sub tamari or extra sea salt if unavailable)
- 4 tbsp lemon juice
- 5/8 tsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp sriracha flexible to add more/less
- 1/8 tsp sea salt
- 2-6 tbsp warm water to thin* (amount depends on thickness of tahini and how well it is stirred, varies by brand)
- Whisk together all ingredients except water.
- Slowly add warm water until desired thickness is achieved.
Please, let me know what you think of the recipe once you try it by rating and commenting below!
For more plant-powered dressings, sauces, and salad ideas, check out:
- 10+ Plant-Based Salad Meal Ideas
- Trader Joe’s Salad Recipes & Ideas
- Tangy Green Herb Sauce
- Simple Heirloom Tomato Salad
Or check out all my recipes!