Superfood Soup (w/ lentil, sweet potato, greens)
All the goodness in one bowl…this is SUPERFOOD SOUP! Not only nutrient-dense, this lentil, sweet potato, and kale soup is low fat, protein rich (with 17 grams), and offers 74% of your daily fiber! Plus, it has all the vitamin D you need in a day!
Inspiration for this Lentil Kale Soup Recipe
Whenever I a crave a wholesome meal with nutrient-dense ingredients, cozy soup comes to mind.
Which made me wonder…what if I focused on combining some of the healthiest superfoods around? Could I create a soup that fires on all cylinders?! That is: uberhealthy, comforting, filling, and still DELICIOUS.
I accepted the challenge to myself. And after a few tries, this irresistible plant-based Superfood Soup emerged. Savory and sweet with gingery notes, umami undertones and a bright finish, this soup is full of flavor! And practically every ingredient is widely considered a superfood.
Superfoods are unprocessed, whole foods packed with minerals, vitamins, antioxidants, and other nutrients. Although they don’t have specific criteria, superfoods are generally associated with lowered cholesterol, reduced inflammation, cancer prevention, heart health, and strong immunity.
Key nutritional benefits of these superfood ingredients:
- garlic: anti-inflammatory, immune boosting, heart healthy
- ginger: regulates blood sugar, anti-inflammatory, high in antioxidants, good for brain, heart, and gut health
- turmeric: anti-inflammatory, high in antioxidants; good for brain, joint, and emotional health
- sweet potato: high in fiber, vitamins B, C, & D, antioxidants, manganese, and potassium; good for gut, brain, and eye health
- lentils: high in protein, fiber, folate, potassium, and iron; low in calories; good for heart health, weight management, and cancer prevention
- mushrooms: high in fiber, protein, vitamins B & D, and other antioxidants; regulates blood sugar; good for heart and muscle health
- kale: low in calories; high in vitamins A, C, & K, and antioxidants; anti-inflammatory; good for heart, blood, and eye health, plus cancer prevention
- lemons: high in vitamin C and citric acid, which helps absorb iron from plant foods; good for heart health
- nutritional yeast: above all, nooch is rich in vitamin B12! also, immune boosting, high in antioxidants; good for heart health
In addition, this superfood soup is low fat, protein rich (with 17 grams), and offers 74% of your daily fiber! Plus, it has all the vitamin D you need in a day!
If you like this recipe, you may also like:
- Irresistible White Beans & Greens
- Carrot and Lentil Soup (Stovetop and Instant Pot)
- Savory Steel Cut Oats
- Green Vegan Pasta Primavera
Superfood Soup (plant-based)
- large pot with lid or Dutch oven
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups yellow onion, diced about 2 small or 1 large onion
- 1/2 cup mushrooms, chopped, any type optional
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes optional
- 1-2 teaspoons * fresh ginger, grated or very finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons garlic cloves, finely chopped about 5 medium cloves
- 2 teaspoons ground turmeric
- 1 1/2 cups brown or green lentils
- 3 heaping cups sweet potato, diced into bite-sized pieces about 1 large potato
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 4 cups vegetable broth I prefer bouillon paste or cubes for this recipe
- 2 cups water
- 4 cups chopped greens like kale, Swiss chard, or collard greens
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast optional
- black pepper to taste
- In large pot or dutch oven, heat oil over medium heat.
- Add onions and saute until they begin to soften, about 3 minutes.
- Add mushrooms, salt, and red pepper flakes. Saute for 2 more minutes.
- Add ginger and garlic. Saute another minute until fragrant.
- Add turmeric, lentils, thyme, broth, and water. Bring to boil. Reduce to medium. Cover.
- Cook for 15 minutes. Then add the sweet potatoes.
- Continue to cook, covered, for about 10 minutes, until lentils and sweet potatoes are soft but not falling apart. If one is finished before the other, turn off burner; food will continue to steam.
- Mix in greens. Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add in lemon juice, nutritional yeast, and black pepper.
- Taste. Salt as needed. Serve.
|NUTRITIONAL INFORMATION||6 servings|
|Daily Value |
based on 2,000 calories
|Total Fat||3.4 g||4%|
|Saturated Fat||.5 g||3%|
|Total Carbohydrates||62.8 g||23%|
|Dietary Fiber||20.9 g||74%|
|Total Sugars||10.8 g|
|Vitamin D||21 mcg||105%|
Pin this Sweet Potato, Lentil and Kale Soup for later:
So…if you try this recipe, please tell me what you think by rating and commenting below! I can’t wait to hear what you think about this detox lentil soup vegan recipe.
12 thoughts on “Superfood Soup (w/ lentil, sweet potato, greens)”
this soup turned out so delicious! such a great combo of flavors!
love this superfood soup! Super easy to make and so delicious!
Delicious lentil stew. It was really filling and satisfying
Loved the superfood soup. So healthy and so delicious .
thank you Shanna for sharing!
This sounds amazing! I’m definitely going to make it. Your website rocks!!!
The flavor is amazing!
wow so cozy and easy to make
this soup is so good and jam-packed with yumminess!!
I made this soup over the holidays and it was the perfect healthy, cozy meal. So yummy!
Thanks Traci for sharing!