Superfood Soup (w/ lentil, sweet potato, greens)
All the goodness in one bowl…this is SUPERFOOD SOUP! Talk about nutrient-dense, this lentil, sweet potato, and kale soup is low fat, protein rich (with 17 grams), and packed with fiber! Plus, its full of flavor, with savory and sweet with gingery notes, umami undertones, and a bright finish.
Inspiration for this Lentil Kale Soup Recipe
Whenever I a crave a wholesome meal with nutrient-dense ingredients, cozy soup comes to mind.
Which made me wonder…what if I focused on combining some of the healthiest superfoods around? Could I create a soup that fires on all cylinders?! That is: uberhealthy, comforting, filling, and still DELICIOUS.
I accepted the challenge to myself. And after quite a few tries, this irresistible plant-based Superfood Soup emerged. Savory, sweet, and bright with umami undertones, this soup is full of flavor! And practically every ingredient is widely considered a superfood.
Superfood Soup Ingredients
Superfoods are unprocessed whole foods packed with minerals, vitamins, antioxidants, and other nutrients. The superfoods in this soup are:
- olive oil: offers a richer flavor than other oils
- onions: brings sweetness to this soup
- ginger: perhaps a surprising ingredient, it adds a little kick and unique flavor
- garlic: because all soup needs garlic!
- turmeric: offers a subtle earthy flavor
- sweet potato: this superfood compliments the savory ingredients with a natural sweetness, plus it adds a welcome texture to all the lentils
- lentils: lentils are the star of this dish! Luscious and creamy, lentils are a nutrient-dense legume that will keep you satiated.
- mushrooms: brings a mild umami flavor to the base of this soup
- kale: gotta get those greens! And the texture of the kale really holds up well in this soup.
- lemons: brings brightness to the soup
- thyme: pairs well with green and brown lentils especially!
- vegetable broth: for more flavor than water to aid the lentils in cooking
- nutritional yeast: adds a subtle earthiness to the soup, plus “nooch” is rich in vitamin B12, which is often hard to find, especially in plant-based foods.
Pin this Sweet Potato, Lentil and Kale Soup for later:
If you like this healthy soup recipe, you may also like:
- Vegan White Beans & Greens Recipe
- Carrot and Lentil Soup (Stovetop and Instant Pot)
- Creamy Potato Chowder
- Luscious Celery Root Soup
So…if you try this recipe, please tell me what you think by rating and commenting below! I can’t wait to hear what you think about this detox lentil soup vegan recipe.
Superfood Soup (plant-based)
- large pot with lid or Dutch oven
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups yellow onion, diced about 2 small or 1 large onion
- 1/2 cup mushrooms, chopped, any type optional
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes optional
- 1-2 teaspoons * fresh ginger, grated or very finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons garlic cloves, finely chopped about 5 medium cloves
- 2 teaspoons ground turmeric
- 1 1/2 cups brown or green lentils
- 3 heaping cups sweet potato, diced into bite-sized pieces about 1 large potato
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 4 cups vegetable broth I prefer bouillon paste or cubes for this recipe
- 2 cups water
- 4 cups chopped greens like kale, Swiss chard, or collard greens
- 1 1/2 – 2 1/2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast optional
- black pepper to taste
- In large pot or dutch oven, heat oil over medium heat.
- Add onions and saute until they begin to soften, about 3 minutes.
- Add mushrooms, salt, and red pepper flakes. Saute for 2 more minutes.
- Add ginger and garlic. Saute another minute until fragrant.
- Add turmeric, lentils, thyme, broth, and water. Bring to boil. Reduce to medium. Cover.
- Cook for 15 minutes. Then add the sweet potatoes.
- Continue to cook, covered, for about 10 minutes, until lentils and sweet potatoes are soft but not falling apart. If one is finished before the other, turn off burner; food will continue to steam.
- Mix in greens. Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add in lemon juice (starting with 1 1/2 tbsp), nutritional yeast, and black pepper.
- Taste. Add salt as needed or additional lemon juice for more brightness. Serve.