Easy, Creamy Kale & White Bean Dip (Vegan)
This crowd-pleasing vegan dip is not only simple to make, it totally hits the spot: creamy, cheesy, rich, and addictive! No one will even guess that it is vegan. The perfect appetizer to bring to a game day gathering, poolside BBQ, or park picnic…check out this Easy, Creamy Kale & White Bean Dip!
Inspiration for this Vegan Kale Dip
The most impressive vegan appetizer I have ever served is Minimalist Baker’s Kale & White Bean Artichoke Dip– amazingly rich and creamy, it is a huge crowd-pleaser.
It is TOTALLY WORTH the multiple steps of soaking, sauteing, blending, and baking.
However, over the holidays a few years ago, I was craving this dip but feeling lazy after a few nights of entertaining…so I started experimenting with a simpler dip inspired by that recipe.
After a few tries, this tasty one-pan kale dip emerged. Not only is it quick and easy to make, it still hits the spot: creamy, cheesy, rich, and addictive. And another crowd-pleaser, too!
If you’re looking for easy kale appetizer recipes, look no further!
Why You’ll Love this Vegan White Bean Dip
MADE IN ONE POT!
HIGH IN FIBER
- Onions give the dip a natural sweetness and depth of flavor.
- Garlic of course adds a garlicky goodness essential to all fabulous savory dips!
- Kale is the star of this dip. It is cooked down until tender and with all of the other flavors, is downright irresistible.
- Nutmeg adds a cozy earthiness to the flavor.
- Vegan Cream Cheese is the key to a creamy, rich dip. I prefer Kite Hill brand for this recipe, but any plant-based cream cheese will work.
- Nutritional Yeast adds the cheesy component to this dip. Start small and add more at the end.
- White Beans are the hearty ingredient in this dip. Naturally creamy and smooth, they are the perfect bean for this dip.
- Plant Milk helps make the dip come together and thins out the rich and thick cream cheese.
When adding the kale, I find it easier to use tongs to turn and mix until they wilt:
Before adding cream cheese, be sure to reduce heat to low. Then, use a spatula to break up the cream cheese, allowing it to more easily melt:
After mixing in the nutritional yeast and almond milk, it should look blended and creamy:
Add your beans and optional nutritional yeast, and you are ready to serve!
This recipe is versatile. You can add in or swap out ingredients as desired.
- Artichoke hearts
- Hearts of palm
- Vegan parmesan cheese
- Swap out kale for your favorite greens like spinach, collard greens, or Swiss chard.
- Use any type of white bean for this dip, like cannellini beans (white kidney beans), or navy beans, or Great Northern beans. Or substitute with chickpeas.
- Use sriracha sauce or chili flakes in place of cayenne.
Store kale and white bean dip in refrigerator for 3-5 days. Enjoy leftovers cold or warm. If warming, add a bit of additional plant milk to thin.
Freeze dip in air tight container for up to 4 months.
If you enjoy this recipe, you may also like:
- Irresistible White Beans & Greens
- Spinach & Artichoke Puff Pastry Wreath
- Vegan Finger Foods: Easy Party Appetizers
- Easy Trader Joe’s Vegan Appetizers
Easy, Creamy Kale & White Bean Dip
- 2 tsp olive oil (sub water if avoiding oil)
- 1/2 cup onion, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp fresh garlic, finely chopped
- 5 heaping cups finely chopped kale, ribs removed
- 1-2 dashes ground nutmeg optional
- 3/8 tsp sea salt
- black pepper to taste
- 1 dash cayenne (or more to taste)
- 2 tbsp water
- 6 oz plant-based cream cheese (I prefer Kite Hill brand for this recipe)
- 1-2 tsp nutritional yeast (start with 1 tsp, can add more at end for cheesier taste)
- 3/4 cup white beans
- 6 tbsp unflavored, unsweetened plant-based milk
- In large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Sauté onions until soft, about 4 minutes.
- Reduce to medium low heat. Add garlic, kale, nutmeg, sea salt, pepper, and cayenne to skillet and mix. Use tongs to easily turn/mix in kale.
- Add water to avoid burning.
- Saute until kale is wilted, about 2 minutes.
- Reduce to low heat. Add in cream cheese. Use spatula to break apart, allowing it to melt slightly.
- Add in 1 tsp nutritional yeast and milk. Mix until combined.
- Turn off heat.
- Mix in white beans.
- Taste. Optional: add additional tsp nutritional yeast for cheesier flavor.
- Serve warm or room temperature with tortilla chips, crackers, veggies, or bread.
I look forward to hearing what you think about this easy one-pot dip recipe; please rate and review below once you try it!
9 thoughts on “Easy, Creamy Kale & White Bean Dip (Vegan)”
This looks great!
This dish is amazing and so easy. I am making this for my non-vegan friends this weekend.
This dip is heavenly on a warm summer day with a glass of rosè. It is both hearty and healthy and simply delicious!
Yum, awesome idea Carrie!
This was the perfect poolside appetizer served warm with crunchy tostitoes. Having a nice thick cracker or chip I think was key to be able to scoop up a solid bite. The only warning on this dish is that once you have one bite, it’s really hard to stop! So delicious. Love the idea of enjoying this with a glass of rose, that would be a perfect complement.
Good tip Natalie! Thanks for sharing!
So delicious! I had to stop myself from eating the whole bowl!
One of my faves!